What A Shock Can Do to the electrician

There have been several posts on the blog so far about electrical safety in various incarnations, but there hasn’t been much discussion about the reality of the injuries we are trying to avoid. There’s of course a good reason for this- it’s grisly and unpleasant. So I’m not going to be showing you any gory photos today, but it’s important to know exactly what an electric shock can do to the human body in order to recognize the injuries in someone else and to be better motivated to take precautionary measures against electrical dangers. The electrical contractors in richmond va are aware about the dangers to get the desired results. The motivation to the people is provided to get the desired results. Proper protection is provided from the shock to have the benefits. The people will remain motivated and precautionary measures are taken with the excellence of the people. 

Two Types of Danger

There are two types of danger associated with electric shock: direct and indirect.

Direct dangers are things that happen to the body directly caused by the shock: burns, stoppage of heart and breathing, etc.

Indirect dangers are injuries caused by something that happens as a result of the shock: falls, explosions, fires, etc.


An electrical burn is one of the most serious injuries you can receive because the damage is often not readily apparent, in fact it may not manifest itself for hours or even days, after which it is often too late to save the limb or even the individual. Electrical burns can cause massive tissue damage from the heat generated by the current coursing through the body.

A current arc, often occurring when a highly charged source sends current sparks to the ground, can cause deep thermal (heat) burns and can also result in fire, and subsequently flame burns.

One of the greatest dangers of being shocked is the possibility of internal injury, including hemorrhaging (internal bleeding) and nerve and muscle damage.

Nerve Damage

A severe electric shock that does not result in death often results in lasting neuropathy. Neuropathy is damage to the nerves of the peripheral nervous system, and manifests as pain, numbness, or tingling in different parts of the body, usually the hands and feet.

The nerves in our bodies communicate through electrical impulses, but an excessive amount of electricity being forced through the body can damage these nerve endings.

Muscle Damage

Electricity coursing through the body can cause violent muscle spasms which can result in athletic-type muscle injuries (strains, soreness, tearing) and even broken bones.

Ventricular Fibrillation

Ventricular Fibrillation is the uncontrolled twitching or quivering of muscle fibers in the lower chambers of the heart that can occur at AC currents as low as 60 mA, 300-500 mA for DC currents. Death typically occurs within 90 seconds when ventricular fibrillation occurs because the muscle cells of the heart move independently instead of in the coordinated pulses required to maintain circulation.

The only way to treat a victim of ventricular fibrillation (who will seem as if their heart has stopped because no pulse is detectable) is with a defibrillator to shock the heart back into a normal rhythm.

Warning Signs

Aside from common sense (don’t use electrical appliances with wet hands or in wet conditions, stay away from power lines, don’t overload your outlets), there are some signs that there is an electrical problem that can warn you before someone is injured:

  • Cracked outlets/face plates (exposing contact points).
  • You live in an old home where the wiring may be inadequate for your electrical needs (leading to an overload of the circuits).
  • Frayed cords.
  •  Frequently tripping circuit breakers.
  • Frequently dimming or flickering lights.
  • A tingling sensation when you touch an electrical appliance.
  •  Discolored or warm wall outlets, or sparks from the outlet.
  •  A persistent burning smell coming from an appliance or area.

As unpleasant as it is to think about the severe danger of electric shock, it’s important to be aware of this reality: anyone can be shocked if they’re not careful. It may be as mild as a slight vibrating sensation, but as we have seen, it may also be deadly. Check out this safety checklist to help you assure that your home and workplace are safe and protected against electric shock.

Jesse371 Posts

Jesse Waters is head content writer and article at God Men. He found out about his love for writing when he was struggling with cancer. His works are very sensitive and he writes with his heart.


Welcome! Login in to your account

Remember me Lost your password?

Lost Password