Useful tips to get your USB Flash Drive repaired
For majority of the people, a USB flash drive is mainly used for storing and transferring files. That is why they are so much important in the professional field of our lives. The use of a pendrive allows us to easily carry all our files and data to everywhere we go in the world. But what if suddenly one day, you see that your flash drive isn’t working properly anymore? It would be a disaster, right? So you need to know the correct way to repair a flash drive.
We have jotted some useful ways by which you can do so and in order to avoid the loss of you files, create a quick backup on infinitykloud.
Tip 1 – Scan & Fix Any Errors in USB Flash Drives on Windows
Before handing out the flash drive to the service center, you can actually check for any problem related to the device. Follow these steps and do a diagnosis by yourself –
- The very first step is to plug in the USB flash drive to your PC
- Then access it from the hard disk list
- After that, right click on the USB flash drive icon and choose the “Properties” from the drop down menu
- Next, in the newly appeared popup dialog box, click on “Tools” tab
- Then you have to click on the “Check Now” button present there
- In the small dialog box that follows, you have to enable the two options – “Automatically fix file system errors” and also the “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”
- After that, click on the “Start” option
- Wait for a few minutes before the scan is complete and the drive will identify any errors it is facing
Tip 2 – Format The Flash Drive
In a scenario when you do not have any issues with deleting all the available files and data in the pendrive, you can choose to format it. At times, there are many malware which can affect the proper functioning of the drive. So you need to get rid of them, in this manner –
- Access the pendrive on the hard disk list and right click on its icon. Then click on the Format option available.
- After you click on the Format option, a new tab will open. Here you will see the option to choose between NTFS or FAT32 drive option. Select the latter.
- Let the Capacity and Allocation Unit Size be the same as default settings.
- Then click on OK and in a few moments your drive will be formatted.
Tip 3 – Run Windows CHKDSK via Command Prompt On Your PC
The inbuilt Windows “Check Disk” feature is another way in which you can choose to detect any problems related to the USB drive. So how are you going to do it? Follow these steps –
- First, insert your USB flash drive into the PC and wait for it to show up
- Then you need to open the “cmd” command prompt in the Windows “Start Menu” option
- Once the prompt appears, press the “Enter” key button in order to access the Command Prompt dialog box
- Subsequently, in the next popup window, you have to type “chkdsk flash drive letter: /f “, like “chkdsk E: /f” and then press Enter
- After you have followed all the steps carefully, you need to wait for a few minutes before Windows can scan and identify problems related to the drive.
These are the three amazing tips that you can follow in order to identify, solve and repair a malfunctioning USB drive. Let us know which tip proved to be useful in your case.
Jesse Waters is head content writer and article at God Men. He found out about his love for writing when he was struggling with cancer. His works are very sensitive and he writes with his heart.